Articles

Cross DE-448 - History

Cross DE-448 - History



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Cross

Frederick Cushing Cross, Jr., born 8 July 1917 in Lunenburg, Mass., enlisted in the Naval Reserve 22 March 1941, and after aviation training WAS ordered to a bombing squadron at DeLand, Fla. Lieutenant (junior grade) Cross was killed in action 7 August 1943 during an engagement with an enemy submarine. Although he was mortally wounded and his plane had a shattered starboard engine, he continued to attack the submarine, then made a perfect water landing, thus saving the lives of his co pilot and radio operator. For his outstanding courage and indomitable fighting spirit, Lieutenant (junior grade) Cross was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

(DE-448: dp. 1,360; 1. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 9'6"; s. 24 k.;
cpl. 186; a. 2 6", 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 act.; cl.
John C. Butler)

Cross (DE-448) was launched 4 July 1944 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N.J.; sponsored by Mrs. D. F. Cross, mother of the late Lieutenant (junior grade) Cross, USNR; and commissioned 8 January 1945, Lieutenant H. L. Minshall, Jr., USNR, in command.

Departing New York 22 March 1945, Cross called at San Diego before arriving at Pearl Harbor for additional training. She sailed on 8 May escorting a convoy for Ulithi, and from 29 May to 11 September Cross continued to escort vital supply-laden convoys from Ulithi to Okinawa. After repairs at Okinawa, she called at San Diego and Boston, then put in to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 14 June 1946.

Recommissioned 6 June 1961, Gross was assigned to the 1st Naval District to serve as a training ship for New England Naval Reservists. She remained in this employment until placed in reserve again 2 January 1958.

Cross was awarded one battle star for World War II service.


USS Cross (DE-448)

USS Cross (DE-448) was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The primary purpose of the destroyer escort was to escort and protect ships in convoy, in addition to other tasks as assigned, such as patrol or radar picket. Post-war she proudly returned home with one battle star to her credit.

Cross (DE-448) was named in honor of Frederick Cushing Cross, Jr. who was awarded the Navy Cross for his attack on an enemy submarine and, mortally wounded, getting his plane and crew back to safety.

Cross was 1aunched 4 July 1944 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, New Jersey sponsored by Mrs. D. F. Cross, mother of the late Lieutenant (junior grade) Cross, USNR and commissioned 8 January 1945, Lieutenant H. L. Minshall, Jr., USNR, in command.


External links



Information as of: 18.06.2020 12:27:23 CEST

Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.


Kenneth Edward Sensabaugh was born May 25, 1926 in Augusta County, Virginia to Robert and Bessie Sensabaugh. Sensabaugh was a graduate of Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton and was a men's clothing salesman from 1942 to 1944. He joined the U. S. Navy soon after graduation, serving as a Coxswain during WWII from June 1944 to July 1946. Sensabaugh served the majority of his deployment period in Okinawa, Japan and photographed his travels abroad. Sensabaugh received an honorable discharge on June 4, 1946 with medals for Victory WWII, America Area, Asiatic Pacific, and 1 Star while serving on board the DE 448 USS Cross. Sensabaugh worked as a bookkeeper in Planter's Nut and Chocolate for more than 37 years and also at Hassett Gun Shop. He was a lifetime member of the Second Presbyterian Church where he was an active member of the choir for 55 years and was an Elder and Deacon. Kenneth Sensabaugh (1926-2009) and his wife, Lois Frances Sensabaugh (1928-2017), had a son and a daughter. The Sensabaughs are buried in Augusta Memorial Park in Waynesboro, Virginia.

The Kenneth E. Sensabaugh Papers, 1944-2009 (bulk 1944-1954), are comprised primarily of materials related to Sensabaugh's career in the U. S. Navy. Items include photographs (including Sensabaugh's Company 787 A-1 and loose photographs of Kenneth Sensabaugh), sketch portraits of Sensabaugh that also include a negative and positive Photostat copy, military discharge papers, and related ephemera. The collection also includes Sensabaugh's pension information and income tax forms. A photo album consists of black-and-white photographs of Kenneth Sensabaugh while serving in the U. S. Navy and also includes ships, coastlines, and various scenic views of places Sensabaugh visited during his time in the Navy. The photo album is largely blank with only a few pages comprising photographs.

Oversize materials include a sketch portrait of Sensabaugh and a July 1944 photograph of Company 787 A-1 at Camp Peary, Virginia of which Sensabaugh was a member. Both items, along with the photo album, are housed in an oversize box.


Acknowledgements

We thank R. Moriuchi for suggestions.

Author Contributions M.S. and Y.L.C. contributed equally to this work. M.S., S.-i.F., H.W. and H.H. constructed the cDNA library and screened for transforming genes. Y.L.C. sequenced the EML4–ALK cDNA and conducted the experiments with BA/F3 cells. Y.Y. and S.T. searched for EGFR and KRAS mutations. M.E., S.I., K.K., M.B., S.O., S.T., Y.I. and H.A. performed RT–PCR for EML4–ALK transcripts in cancer specimens. T.N., Y. Sohara, Y. Sugiyama and H.M. designed the overall project, and H.M. wrote the manuscript. All authors discussed the results and commented on the manuscript.

The nucleotide sequences of EML4–ALK variant 1 and variant 2 cDNA have been deposited in DDBJ, EMBL and GenBank under the accession numbers AB274722 and AB275889, respectively.


Founding the American Red Cross

While visiting Europe, Barton worked with a relief organization known as the International Red Cross during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–&apos71. Some time after returning home to the United States, she began to lobby for an American branch of this international organization.

The American Red Cross Society was founded in 1881 and Barton served as its first president. As its leader, Clara Barton oversaw assistance and relief work for the victims of such disasters as the 1889 Johnstown Flood and the 1900 Galveston Flood.



What Did Ancient Indian Houses Look Like?

Ancient Indian houses were rectangular, built with mud bricks, wood, and reeds with doors and windows made of wood. Floors were either packed dirt, covered with clean sand or plastered, or occasionally paved with bricks.

Homes in ancient India were laid out to facilitate communal living. Houses usually had exposed back sides which opened into a large courtyard surrounded by several houses. The courtyard represented a common area to be used by the inhabitants of all the homes surrounding it.

The ancient Indian civilization maintained complex bylaws to regulate construction. Higher caste individuals were able to have houses that were multiple stories, whereas lower caste individuals had small single story homes.


The Passionists of Holy Cross Province

The Passionist Offices are open on a limited basis. Therefore, any orders for Mass cards and folders will only be filled on Mondays and Wednesdays until further notice.

During this challenging time, please know that our Passionist Family of Benefactors are in our prayers. Please stay safe and healthy.

Our Mission

We Passionists proclaim God’s love for the world revealed through the Passion of Jesus Christ.

The Passionists, a family of priests, brothers and laity, reach out with compassion to the crucified of today. We keep alive the memory of Christ’s passion through our commitment to community, prayer, ministries of the Word, and service to those who suffer. We welcome all who seek renewed life through the power of the Cross and the hope of the Resurrection.


Nada se sabe sobre Eusébio antes de sua oposição à Nestório na metade da década de 420 Ele foi descrito como sendo um advogado leigo (não clérigo) envolvido com a lei ou as cortes em Constantinopla. Em algumas referências ele é descrito também como um retórico.

No final da década de 420, o recém-apontado Patriarca de Constantinopla, Nestório, e um presbítero chamado Anastácio (ambos de Antioquia) estavam pregando sobre a palavra grega teótoco ("mãe de Deus"), que estava sendo utilizada para se referir a Maria. Eles imploravam ao povo afirmando que Maria não deveria ser idolatrada ou referida como tal. Ao invés disso, eles explicaram que ela deveria ser chamada de cristótoco ("mãe de Cristo"), um sintoma de uma crença mais ampla de que Cristo teria nascido um homem e que Deus estaria apenas "habitando" dentro ou sobre ele. Estes ensinamentos rapidamente chamaram a atenção da Igreja, que não aprovava uma mudança desta magnitude na terminologia utilizada para se referir a Maria, e também da população em geral.

Durante um sermão proferido por Nestório sobre o assunto em 428 ou 429, Eusébio publicamente afirmou que "o Verbo eterno se submeteu a um segundo nascimento", conseguindo de seus ouvintes presentes uma rodada de aplausos de aprovação. Logo em seguida, uma carta circulou em Constantinopla ligando os ensinamentos de Nestório com os de Paulo de Samósata, uma figura herética do século anterior que também tinha negado - ou disputado - a natureza divina de Cristo. Esta carta foi chamada de Contestação e é geralmente atribuída a Eusébio de Dorileia. É provável que ele tenha se tornado um padre logo após este incidente.

Logo após a oposição pública a Nestório por Eusébio, chegou uma convocação para um concílio ecumênico a ser realizado em Éfeso para resolver o problema destes ensinamentos e que terminou com a deposição de Nestório. Nesta época, um presbítero em Constantinopla chamado Eutiques era um aliado de Eusébio contra o Patriarca deposto, mas não é claro se ele teve qualquer papel principal nos procedimentos do concílio além de participara da acusação, comandada por Cirilo de Alexandria. De qualquer maneira, Eusébio deve ter ganho algum crédito por sua Contestação e sua oposição aberta à Nestório, pois ele foi apontado como bispo de Dorileia em algum momento entre 431 e 448

Em 448, Eutiques já tinha se posicionado para enfrentar a ortodoxia doutrinária ao desposar o ponto de vista que Cristo era feito de um corpo divino e, portanto, não era inteiramente humano, negando assim Sua natureza humana. Esta visão, embora oposta à de Nestório, era tão heterodoxa quanto.

A crescente animosidade entre Eutiques e o resto do clero levou a um sínodo convocado pelo arcebispo de Constantinopla Flaviano (que tinha sucedido a Proclo em 446) e que, por azar, estava em conflito com Crisáfio, um poderoso ministro imperial e afilhado de Eutiques, e com o imperador bizantino Teodósio II. Este sínodo, chamado de Concílio de Constantinopla ou, por vezes, de Sínodo Capital, foi presidido por Flaviano na capital imperial.

Durante o sínodo, Eusébio de Dorileia entregou a Flaviano uma carta detalhando suas queixas contra Eutiques e fazendo conhecida sua disposição de testemunhar contra ele pessoalmente. Eusébio relata que ele alertou Eutiques por diversas vezes em particular, mas que nunca fora ouvido. Flaviano pediu que Eutiques fosse trazido ao concílio para se defender das acusações, mas ele se recusou e jurou permanecer em seu mosteiro como "se estivesse num túmulo". Eusébio continuou pressionando, dizendo que havia testemunhas suficientes no sínodo para confirmar suas acusações e condenar Eutiques, mas Flaviano relutou e, por repetidas vezes, enviou emissários até o acusado pedindo que ele se arrependesse e pedisse perdão. O Patriarca afirmou sobre Eusébio logo após uma sessão particular: "Você sabe o zelo do acusador o próprio fogo parece esfriá-lo em comparação com o seu puro zelo pela religião. Deus sabe! Eu procurei fazê-lo desistir porém, como ele persistiu, o que eu poderia fazer?".

Quando Eutiques finalmente apareceu perante o concílio, ele se recusou a abjurar seus ensinamentos e acabou deposto como herético.

No ano seguinte à condenação de Eutiques em Constantinopla por Flaviano, um concílio foi convocado por Teodósio II, provocado por uma apelação feita ao imperador por Eutiques e endereçada por Crisáfio, para limpar o seu nome, restaurar o seu título e punir os seus acusadores. Este concílio terminaria conhecido como "Latrocínio de Éfeso" (ou "Concílio de Ladrões") por causa da carta que o Papa Leão I enviou a Pulquéria sobre os eventos que ali transcorreram.

O Patriarca de Alexandria, Dióscoro, foi apontado como presidente do concílio, que também se realizou em Éfeso. Flaviano foi o principal defensor ali e acabou sendo visto como o responsável pela deposição de Eutiques, mas Eusébio também foi chamado. Durante o concílio, Dióscoro dominou os procedimentos, impedindo que a longa carta de Leão I (hoje conhecida como "Tomo de Leão") sobre a natureza de Cristo fosse lida, e nem permitindo que Eusébio falasse em defesa própria. Ele forçou os bispos, sob ameaça de violência, a adotar o credo ali decidido e a depor Flaviano e Eusébio, o que eles fizeram. Flaviano foi surrado no tumulto que se seguiu e acabou morrendo logo em seguida, enquanto que Eusébio encontrou santuário com Leão através de uma carta de apelo.

Os eventos de 449 causaram enorme resistência, não menos em Pulquéria, a irmã de Teodósio II. Quando o imperador morreu, Marciano o sucedeu e convocou o Concílio de Calcedônia em 451 para resolver as injustiças do "concílio de ladrões". Dióscoro foi deposto, Eutiques foi novamente condenado e Eusébio foi reconduzido à sua sé episcopal. O nome de Flaviano terminou limpo após a anulação de todos os decretos do segundo concílio em Éfeso. Eusébio foi quem conduziu a petição contra Dióscoro e aparece nos autos falando ao concílio: "…eu fui injustiçado por Dióscoro a fé foi injustiçada o bispo Flaviano foi assassinado. Ele, assim como eu, foi injustamente deposto por Dióscoro.".

O mais importante resultado da disputa foi uma afirmação de fé conhecida como credo de Calcedônia, que Eusébio de Dorileia ajudou a criar.

Após o Concílio de Calcedônia, nada mais sabemos sobre Eusébio de Dorileia.


Watch the video: Baroque Music Collection - Vivaldi, Bach, Corelli, Telemann.. (August 2022).